You will be required to design, model and sculpt a game-ready 3D character based on concept art from Unreal Tournament.
Submissions must contain a full body render of the finished character that conforms to the skeleton and proportions of the standard in-game models.
Your models must be presented as they are seen in the Unreal engine. (screenshots of your assets should be presented alongside the concept art that inspired the models, as well as a breakdown of the texture maps used and the shading networks. (See examples linked)
It is helpful for the judges if we can see the wire mesh of the assets, this can be achieved by uploading your finished asset’s to ArtStation as 3D model files.
- Project assets and intro to UE4 can be found in this document.
- Development engine is Unreal Engine 4.
- You may use any additional tools that you have access to. (3D software and 2D texturing software etc)
- Finished projects must be presented as both an UE4 project file and as image presentation board (PDF)
Project Assessment Criteria
Judges will award marks based on:
Your ability to follow the design brief and produce assets that are both thematically and stylistically appropriate. Your accuracy in scale and arrangement. 25%
Your ability to use advanced techniques & attempt technical challenges. Your knowledge of optimisation methods. 25%
Your ability to attempt creative challenges while expressing personality, charisma and identity in your work. (Your interpretation of the concept art) 25%
The clarity and ease of accessibility of your project submission. This includes titling, captions and descriptions if necessary, as well as the provision of documentation and supporting works. (Fill in a journal of your work on the project) 25%
Unreal Tournament Editor Installation
- Go to https://www.unrealtournament.com/ and click “Download Now” on the top right to install the Epic Games Launcher.
- Load the launcher and follow the instructions to register for your free Epic Games ID (this will get you access to Unreal tournament, Unreal Engine 4, tutorials, documentation, forums, and all our support channels).
- You can either click on “Mod Unreal Tournament” from the landing page, or go straight to the Unreal Tournament tab at the top of the launcher.
- IMPORTANT: When you’re on the Unreal Tournament page of the Launcher, there will be three options on the left: Play, Create, and Marketplace. Make sure that “Create” is highlighted to ensure that you are accessing build that contains the Unreal Editor, then click on Install.
- When the editor is done installing, the Install button will become a Launch button.
There are a number of resources available to help you learn the Unreal Editor.
- On the Create section of the Unreal Tournament Launcher, there are ten quick modding tutorials.
- Visit https://www.unrealtournament.com/ for a host of tutorials, FAQs, and links to the forums where you’ll find an active community and direct developer support.
- Visit https://www.unrealengine.com/ for an incredible library of tutorials, videos, documentation, and guides covering every aspect of the engine.
- Two to get started on :
Your submission must contain
- High resolution static renders of your finished piece from multiple angles & from different distances.
- A document listing all tools used in your project.
- Sketchfab / Marmoset 3D viewer render of your finished model.
Resources & Assets
Character Concept Art